The GHRSST Climate Data Assessment Framework (CDAF) provides authoritative, comparable information about GHRSST datasets that allow users to make their own judgement on the suitability of SST datasets for use as Climate Data Records (CDRs) in their applications. The CDAF is described in a report produced by the GHRSST CDR-TAG titled “Climate Data Assessment Framework” (doi: 10.5281/zenodo.4700356).
The CDAF is split into four main sections: Basic information, Assessment information, Review of information, Approval and publication of information.
- Provide a community accessible tool which will facilitate the production of the CDAF metrics so helping producers provide the requisite information to the CDAF.
- Provide an easy-to-use support tool based on opensource resources. The tool will support users of SST datasets, enabling them to understand the suitability of GHRSST datasets for use as CDRs. The datasets are required to be in GDS2.0 format and available for a minimum 10 year time period. The tool and product summaries will be hosted in a web resource. The users, after downloading the tool, will use their own resources to run Python notebook.
Reference datasets will be identified and obtained and sample SST matchups produced. The Matchup Database (MDB) will later be provided as open source software or service. This activity will be completed in collaboration with the GHRSST Task Team on Matchup Databases.
The tool will generate standard descriptive statistics from match-ups (median and robust standard deviation with respect to drifters and Argo floats, stability with respect to Global Tropical Moored Buoy Array, sensitivity). Further development will allow trend analysis: seasonal and trend decomposition to decompose a long-term time series of matchups into its trend, seasonal, and residual components.
Web forms will be needed for inputting dataset information for assessment and for user query information.
Final Tool Provision
An end-to-end tool from matchup production to metrics display and intercomparison will be provided to users
Remaining IDL2Py conversion as needed (12 months)
● Interface new code with new matchup data including extra statistics
○ Interface with Felyx-generated MMDs
○ Analyze geospatial variations
○ Stability analysis
● Setup initial interface
○ Design already in progress
○ Start working on interfaces/code
○ Output structure to CDAF database
LAST REPORT TO THE SCIENCE TEAM
- October 2023: Presentation https://zenodo.org/records/10044541 and recording: Task team 2023 Climate Data Assessment Framework (CDAF) – YouTube
- June 2022: no report available.
- June 2021: Update on the task team Report-CDAF2021
TASK TEAM MEMBERS
Chair: Jonathan Mittaz (Univ. Reading)
Members: Prasanjit Dash, Jean-François Piollé, Ed Armstrong, Rishi Gangwar
- GitHub repository: https://github.com/GHRSST/CDAF-Tool
- Slack: https://ghrsstworkspace.slack.com/archives/C02875RG13P
INTERESTED IN CONTRIBUTING?
Please contact the chair directly:
Jonathan Mittaz, email@example.com